The Dark Triad
Was Ted Bundy a Victim
What Is The Dark Triad
The dark triad personality traits are three closely related yet equally independent personality qualities or characteristics that all have a somewhat malevolent connotation. The three traits are Machiavellianism – a manipulative attitude, Narcissism – an excessive self-love and Psychopathy – the lack of empathy.
All three dark triad traits are conceptually distinct although empirical evidence shows them to be overlapping. They are associated with a callous-manipulative interpersonal style.
- Narcissism is characterized by grandiosity, pride, egotism and a lack of empathy.
- Machiavellianism is characterized by manipulation and exploitation of others, an absence of morality, unemotional callousness and a higher level of self interest.
- Psychopathy is characterized by continuous antisocial behavior, impulsivity, selfishness, callous and unemotional traits and remorselessness.
These traits are called “dark” because of their malevolent (a wish to do evil to others) qualities.
Psychopathy is a neuropsychiatric disorder marked by deficient emotional responses, lack of empathy, and poor behavioral controls, commonly resulting in persistent antisocial deviance and criminal behavior. A psychopath is a person with a chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior. Add Machiavellianism and a grandioso ego and you have the perfect storm of functioning madness.
So What About Ted Bundy
Was he a victim of a dark triad that was his personality.
Of course by now, everyone knows the name Ted Bundy and most are aware of the fact that he was executed in 1989 for the serial murders he committed on young women during the 1970’s. But what many do not know is what was discovered about him and his ‘way of thinking’ those many years he spent behind bars after his capture. Things that the psychologists and psychiatrists came to understand about ‘the sexual predator with a social chameleon personality’ that many have often wondered about. And that is – what mental illness (because he had to have something terribly wrong with him to commit such atrocities) did this intelligent, handsome, charming young man suffer from? Which of these personality traits did Ted display in this seemingly perfect storm of utter insane sanity called the Dark Triad of Theodore Robert Bundy.
The Dark Triad
The Personality of Ted Bundy
In 2007, a group of 73 psychologists got together with the University of Kentucky to study Ted Bundy’s mental health.
Their fascination with this man is the fact that Ted was able to function, and even flourish, in his career and personal life, all while carrying out and evading arrest for a longstanding series of brutal rapes and murders. About 40 of them! After all, Ted was dating, working, going to college and making his way into a political career. Plus committing these horrific crimes all under the radar. A perfect example of truly ‘living’ a double life.
“I am the most cold-hearted son of a bitch you will ever meet.” —Ted Bundy
Here’s what these great minds have determined about Ted Bundy’s mental health
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
According to the mayoclinic the signs and symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder and the severity of symptoms vary. People with the disorder can:
- Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
- Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
- Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
- Exaggerate achievements and talents
- May be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
- Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
- Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
- Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
- Take advantage of others to get what they want
- Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
- Be envious of others and believe others envy them
- Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
- Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
For someone to qualify as having NPD, they have to have at least five of those qualities. About 95 percent of the psychologists in the group believed that Ted Bundy won big here. He was darn near a perfect 100% for all of them.
According to Harley Therapy someone with the trait of Machiavellianism will tend to have many of the following tendencies:
- only focused on their own ambition and interests
- prioritize money and power over relationships
- come across as charming and confident
- exploit and manipulate others to get ahead
- lie and deceive when required
- use flattery often
- lacking in principles and values
- can come across as aloof or hard to really get to know
- cynical of goodness and morality
- capable of causing others harm to achieve their means
- low levels of empathy
- often avoid commitment and emotional attachments
- can be very patient due to calculating nature
- rarely reveal their true intentions
- prone to casual sex encounters
- can be good at reading social situations and others
- lack of warmth in social interactions
- not always aware of the consequences of their actions
- might struggle to identify their own emotions
People who score above 60 are considered ‘high Machs’ and those scoring below 60, ‘low Machs’. So what do our group members say about Ted here? He wins again. It was determined that most believed he had this extreme form of narcissism, called Machiavellianism.
According to Darrel Turner, PhD, Ted Bundy is ‘basically the textbook definition of a “prototypical” psychopath’. So for our group this one was a no brainer. He was the posterchild again.
The Psychopathy Checklist includes superficial charm, untruthfulness and insincerity, lack of nervousness, motivated antisocial behavior, no shame or remorse, an inability to follow a life plan and pathological lying. Ted Bundy fit them all.
Beyond The Dark Triad
Ted Bundy without doubt was a completely different kind of human. He did indeed live with the Dark Triad and far more. 80 percent of the group diagnosed Ted with Antisocial Personality Disorder, Bipolar Personality Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, Schizoid Personality Disorder and Addictive Disorder.
Ted himself said he was a porn addict and told the world to start paying attention to this ‘under observed problem’ just hours before he was put to death in the electric chair.
Source: womenshealthmag.com |
This site contains affiliate links. We may, at no cost to you, receive a commission for purchases made through these links